|This 35 room mansion was built in 1874 by Benjamin Franklin Schenck, son of a wealthy "hay king" of the steamboat era. It was the marvel of its time with a four storied tower and five bathrooms. Each bathroom contains a walnut cased copper lined tub. Architecturally the house is of the "second empire" style.
It has four porches, seven balconies, eight chimneys and numerous windows. The original slate roof is still intact. The exterior trim is all made of tin.
In 1945 the home was acquired by Mr. & Mrs. Clarence Wiseman who lived here and also used it as the clubhouse for the Switzerland County Saddle Club. The circular driveway at the bottom of the hill was originally a quarter mile track. In the 1970s Burrel Farnsley and Alexander Speer bought the property and began serious restoration efforts. They sold it in 1981 to Mark Miles, also of Louisville, who continued the work, adding vineyards to the hillside near the house. The property now belongs to Jerry and Lisa Fisher of Patriot, who have restored the mansion to its original grandeur.